Thursday, April 11, 2013

That Moment of Hope

from Fotopedia

Before you start writing, do you ever have that moment of hope? Maybe this- this will be the story that will reach the description of 'amazing;. Maybe this will win you a Noble Peace Prize. (Good joke, me) Or maybe this will be a giant fail- no, don't think of that. This will be the one. This will catapult me to writer-dom. When I poise my fingers just in the correct starting position, I feel them tremble. Who knows, maybe a masterpiece will flow from them.
That is usually not the case.
What usually flows from my fingers is a jumble of words that are vaguely coherent but just vaguely. The lowest setting on vagueness possible. Usually, when I look back at the page, what stares back is never a masterpiece and always just a bunch of black lines on white. And I know that's exactly what the reader (if there is one) will see it as. They'll look at it briefly, then throw it back to join the ever-growing pile. There- I see you. You're already forgetting what I said. Congratulations. You've just achieved the typical reader award!
Join the club.

No comments:

Post a Comment